On October 29, MSD sent the following email to district families regarding negotiations between the district and the teachers’ union (Millbrae Education Association, or MEA).
Dear Parents and Guardians of Millbrae School District:
The District and MEA negotiations teams met today to begin to negotiate related to the 2014-15 school year. The parties recapped that progress has been made over the last two years with respect to salary (6% over two years) and improvements to District’s contributions to Health & Welfare premiums (an additional 2.5% over two years).
MEA has made a proposal for the following relative to compensation:
• An increase of 4% on salary schedule.
• Increase the District’s contribution to Health & Welfare premiums by $200 per month for unit member, unit member plus one, and family.
• Increase masters and doctorate stipends.
• Restructure salary schedule.
The District proposed the following:
• A two (2%) percent salary increase.
• Increasing the instructional year by 2 days without students to allow Staff Development to occur during the school year.
• If MEA agrees to redirect monies spent on supplemental insurance then MEA can allocate an additional one and a half (1.5%) percent of salary.
The parties are scheduled to meet again on November 17, 2014.
Linda Luna, Superintendent